Retraction (or, the Story in Full)

If you’ve been following this blog for a while, you may have heard me say, rather recently, that we are going to live in California forever, that it’s the “right” place for us, etc. Well, apparently not.

While we were in Utah, David learned that more of his work will be out of California, and he also realized the quality of life we could have there was better that we could have here. He decided we should move there.

After he decided this, and I had time to pick myself up off the floor from the shock, I was sent off to Utah this past weekend to find a new house to rent (which is why the late post). It was kind of a whirlwind, and we saw 10 properties on Monday, picked one out, then found out that another place was available that we thought wasn’t anymore. That was the only one we saw on Tuesday, and it was definitely the one for us. We move March 18th.

For about $800 less than we pay now, we have a much, much better way of life. You can see pictures here, click the pic. It’s winter, so the trees are naked and make it look a little unkempt.

House

It is exactly what I’ve always wanted–a big garden, a small orchard and vineyard, trees to climb and swing in, big pine trees. Also, perks include a 2-story playhouse in back and a laundry chute!

One thing I love about Utah is that it is normal to have a living room AND a family room–seems so excessive and luxurious by California standards! David is not excited about the red master bedroom, so we’ll have to make a few adjustments there, but the house is cute and so big compared to anything we’ve ever had.

We will also be two blocks from my sweet cousin Kim’s house (and go to the same ward). Thanks for finding us this place, Cuz!

So, some very big changes, we’re both a bit nervous, but it feels good and everything is opening up to go this direction, which is saying more than anything else we’ve tried to do in the last five years.

I have so many thoughts surrounding all this that I can’t think clearly to formulate them coherently, so I won’t. Suffice it to say that I thought we’d have to fix a lot of other things before being in a situation like this, things that would take decades, and I really feel the Lord is showing me that he knows me, cares about me and hears me. Some of the littlest details in this house seem unimportant, but only the Lord would know that they meant something to me.

To all our California friends, we love you SO much and never thought this day would come. Thanks to blogs, email, cell phones and the continual exodus many of you make to and from Utah, I hope to hold on to you tightly.

To all our Utah friends, let’s start booking the dinner calendar now!

13 replies
  1. Janet says:

Yay!!! I’m so excited you’re coming back. Our kids can play together in your yard (since I don’t have one).

You made my day. I wonder what city you’ll be in. Near Centerville?

-Jan

2. Janet says:

You made my day. I wonder what city you’ll be in. Near Centerville?

-Jan

3. dietcokegrrl says:

Well, I guess it’s officially the end of an era. 🙂

You already know I’ll miss you lots, so I don’t really need to say it.

Hmmmmmm, now who is going to boss me around at the birth of my next child?

4. brieanne. says:

WOW!!!! i never thought you’d be so ok with moving to UT. goes to show that if it’s where you’re supposed to be, your opinions can and will change to “go with the flow”. despite it being UT, I can tell you that finding yourself in an affordable home in a place where life is a little slower is oh so nice. really, breathing is so much easier. happy for you and hope the move goes as smooth as moves can. we’ll have to stop by when we are in UT for a weekend visit!

5. brieanne. says:

6. Suzy says:

I can’t believe you’re moving and we never even got to hang out!! 🙁 But I am truly so happy for you. I would move there just for the playhouse. Congratulations!! I eventually see us in Utah too so maybe we’ll hang out then. What city are you moving to??

7. kathkarol says:

Ah Val… I have such mixed emotions… but all that keeps popping in my head is Ben running around having a blast in that huge backyard! Oh, and I also picture you surrounded in wheat grass and veggies. So perfect for you all. It makes me happy…but sad.

8. Nancy says:

I am going to miss you all… but gotta tell you one lesson I learned in life… never ever say these words…”I will never….” cause it always bites you in the you know what…
    love you Val..
    nancy

9. Nancy says:

love you Val..
    nancy

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!